Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 40: Meat Retailing and Pork Blood Stew (DINUGUAN)

Early this morning, our piggery partners/caretakers prepared our 2nd hog for butchering and weighing.  By noontime I was in my son's school with my daughter Cailie delivering the pork meat orders I was able to gather there.

The selling business isn't really new to me as I had experience in tuna and seafood trading during our short stint in General Santos City.  However, I found that meat retailing is a bit different and more detailed since I'm serving the consumer end of the business cycle whereas in my tuna biz before I was into wholesaling.  I had a minor boo boo when I switched orders and ended up not serving one order.  I felt bad but it was a learning experience I had to go through, I guess.

Manang Rose, our partner, cooked some yummy Dinuguan (Pork Blood Stew) utilizing the unsold parts of the hog.  This dish is a favorite of the family so we requested for some so that I didn't have to cook dinner anymore.  We seldom get to eat this famous Filipino dish because we make sure that we know the source of the ingredients first and how well it was prepared.  Since this was cooked using our own farm-raised hog and we know who's preparing it, it was one dish we could enjoy as a family.  I haven't tried cooking this myself as I'm not familiar with how it is prepared so I'm just happy as a consumer in this case.  Manang Rose truly outdid herself with this dinuguan.  It was thick and the balance of sour and salty was just right with a hint of heat using "siling haba".  I couldn't believe that my two older kids (with the exception of the baby) enjoyed every morsel of rice and viand.  It is not everyday you see children enjoying this popular Pinoy dish. Suffice to say, it was a satisfying gastronomic experience for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment