Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 48: A Tutor's Pride

In my years as an online English tutor, the phrase "I passed!" is music to my ears.  Since 2006, I've been helping foreigners learn the English language.  Some just want to learn the basic English grammar while the bulk of my students are those studying to pass a particular English exam like IELTS, TOEFL or TOEIC.  Passing these exams are part of their goal in life - whether to enable them to work, study or migrate to a foreign country.

Just imagine my joy when I got this email from one of students.  It literally brought tears to my eyes.  In the short time that we've spent together in class, I've come to know a lot about her struggles in learning English.  With this piece of great news, I can really say "She's come a long way, baby!"

It is in times like these that I am reminded of how awesome it is to be a teacher...it is not a job but a vocation.  And though I'm sad that very soon, my student and I will have to part ways, I am filled with the thought that wherever she may go, she will carry a part of me in her as I carry a part of her in my heart.

To Tomo: "Congratulations my dear!  Spread your wings and soar...chase after your dreams and fulfill them!  It has been a great honor and privilege to teach you."

No comments:

Post a Comment