Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 60: All About BXU - The City (first of a series)

BUTUAN CITY Map (courtesy of Google Maps)
It was in March of 2007 when I first set foot in Butuan City. It is located in the province of Agusan del Norte, in the CARAGA region.  I wasn't too keen about this place when I initially found out that we were going to be assigned here after living in General Santos City for 5 years. I've heard a lot of feedback about Butuan and most of the information I gathered centered on the fact that it was not as urban as GenSan. I, of course, dreaded the fact that we were probably be moving to such a laid-back and "barriotic" place. 

Well, I soon discovered that it is all that...and more.

Butuan City has a total land area of roughly 817 sq. km. and a population of 307,942. Due to its proximity to Cebu, the widely-spoken dialect is Cebuano while Butuanon and Tagalog are also popular dialects.

At first I was surprised to see that there were only quite a handful of famous fast food places here...with Jollibee and McDonald's topbilling the very short list. What became more appealing to me as time passed by were the presence of local eating places that are considered to be pillars in the city. I shall try to introduce these places one at a time, later on in this series. 

What Butuan lacked in terms of "pop culture", it more than made up for in terms of the rustic, laid-back and relaxed way of life it offered. Staying in this place made me appreciate being at home more and actually cut back on my "lakwatsa" tendencies. 

As I go along this series, you will learn more about Butuan...the place I call home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment