Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 70: The Earth Gets Shaken

Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you. 
- Isaiah 54:10

Photo courtesy of The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and Google Maps
I was in shock when I got wind of the breaking news at CNN about a strong earthquake near the coast of Honshu in Japan today at about half past one in the afternoon (PHL time). Since then, my eyes and ears were glued on the tube wanting to know what's been happening in that part of the world. 

Since most of my students now are based in Japan, I couldn't help but get worried for them and say a silent prayer for their safety. I kept on wondering how scary it must be for them going through the ordeal of such a great earthquake. Being right smack in the Pacific Ring of Fire, Japan is on top in terms of preparedness for these kinds of situations but I don't think anyone is really prepared for such an eventuality. Fear, shock and panic would always be there and my heart goes out to everyone suffering this unexpected tragedy.

This event truly brought me to my senses when only a couple of days ago, I was feeling a bit low when I saw pictures of a childhood friend's housewarming. I felt a twinge of pain at the contrast in our lives - my friend, accomplished both professionally and financially whereas I, almost slumped on the ground in debt and nothing materially substantial to show for. Then this calamity hit...and seeing houses, cars, boats, huge properties and mass farmlands being eaten up by waters caused by the tsunamis made me realize how everything can disappear in an instant. And hubby's words shook me to the core - "He who has less, worries less."  I was so ashamed of myself for falling prey to the weakness of materialism and envy. 

For all those affected by this unbelievable tragedy, it must be heart-wrenching to see the huge damage to their property but truly, nothing is more devastating than seeing lives lost amid this calamity.  After all, it is not the material things in our lives that really matter but our lives and how we live them.

Let us continue to pray that God envelops us in His mighty protective love and spare us from imminent dangers looming in the future. And though there may be madness, chaos and fear, we have to trust that our Lord God is in control...He will never forsake us.



1 comment:

  1. Mother Earth is indeed the greatest equalizer. We are all ants crawling on her skin. She can easily squish the lives out of us.

    My prayers go out to all of Japan.

    ReplyDelete