Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 106: Entrance Exam


I'm so sure hubby and I were the more anxious ones today during our children's entrance exam at BCS.  We might as well be the ones taking the exam as evidenced by clammy hands and sweaty foreheads. Our daughter, Caitlin breezed through her preschool test by confidently following the teacher's instructions and answering the paper test in front of her. 

This was so unlike my very own experience 33 years ago when my parents took me to Maryknoll CSC for the entrance test. They brought me to the school a total of three times - the first two were unsuccessful attempts to let me take the exam as I would be kicking and screaming upon being ushered into the room. During the third and final attempt (which turned out to be the last chance to take the test), my Mom gave the ultimatum - if I didn't willingly go with the teacher to take the exam, I won't be able to go to school. Well, I went in, took the test and came out grinning from ear-to-ear half an hour later. I remember my parents telling the story of what I said upon emerging from the examination room, "Hay, ganun lang pala yun exam, may mga tanong lang...akala ko naman parang injection sa doktor yun..." - classic epic fail of my preschool life.

As incoming Grade Two, I'm sure nothing prepared our son, Jarred, for the two-hour, more than 10-page test he encountered this morning.  If he was nervous or afraid, you wouldn't see it...he faced the challenge head on and didn't give up until he finished all pages (despite feeling some pangs of hunger midway through the exam).

My hats off to the resilience and tenacity of children today...they're growing up more confident and ready for the world compared to how we were when we were their age.

The exam results won't be in until after Holy Week...until then, we will just keep praying that God's will be done. Everything is in God's hands now...

No comments:

Post a Comment