Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 318: The Pinoy Priority

This is the main road just outside St. Joseph's Cathedral, Butuan City.
On a normal Sunday, this road would be filled with cars, people and vendors.
We usually hear Sunday mass at St. Joseph's Cathedral at 11:00 am.  It was a particularly peculiar scene outside the church today when I parked the car.  I thought to myself maybe we're just a bit early than usual. Since we usually occupied the front pew, I didn't really notice that the attendance at the mass was abnormally less.  It was only after mass when we were about to ride the car when I realized that there were so few people who attended mass this time. In fact, ours was the only car parked on the street that's usually filled up with vehicles. Even vendors numbered to less than five when there used to be a tiangge-style commotion right outside the church after mass.

Why the seemingly car-less and people-less Sunday?  Today was Manny Pacquiao's big fight with Antonio Margarito.  Most, if not all, Pinoys were at home or some place getting ready to watch the "Pambansang Kamao" show off the fruits of his long and arduous training. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Pacquiao fan and all but somehow I don't get the Filipino psyche when it comes to boxing of this magnitude or caliber...we literally drop everything we're doing to watch two men battle it out on the ring. 

Seeing how nearly empty the church was this morning just proved where the Pinoy priority really lies...tsk! tsk! tsk!

No comments:

Post a Comment