Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 105: From Sounds to Reading

When I was about 5 years old, I remember my Dad buying me a yellow book entitled "Reading with Phonics".  It became my steady partner while learning how to read.  I learned AEIOU from there and how to slowly blend other sounds to form words.

Well, children nowadays have certainly moved forward from those days...learning to read has become so much fun as it is being integrated with music and singing.

"1...2...3...4...When we hear these sounds you'll see, ready to read and so we'll be...

Aa - apple, Bb - ball, Cc - cat and Dd - doll, Ee - egg and Ff - fan, Gg - goat and Hh - hand, Ii - inchworm, Jj - jam, Kk - kite and Ll - lamb, Mm - monkey, Nn - noodles, Oo - octopus and Pp - poodles, Qq - quilt and Rr - rail, Ss - sun and Tt - tail, Uu - umbrella, Vv - vase...we're nearly through, see my happy face...Ww - wagon, Xx - box, Yy - yarn, do you see a fox?...see him in the Zz - zoo, it was fun and now we're through, if we sing this well indeed, it's now time for us to READ!"


No comments:

Post a Comment