Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 77: Nutty

One of my former high school classmates made a wall post at Facebook, mentioning a brand of peanut butter.  It began a barrage of comments from her friends and she mentioned never failing to leave the grocery store without at least 3 big jars of it and with 2 smaller ones for "back-up".  I really don't know what it is with peanut butter that I also joined in the comments.  Growing up, I was more of a Ludy's/Lily's Coco Jam kind of kid.  And when I got older, I preferred cheese spreads for my bread.  My love affair with peanut butter probably started as a result of being around a family of nutty addicts.  My husband loves peanut butter and as it turns out, all three of our children inherited his taste bud for this yummy treat.  Since I'm the one doing the regular grocery chore, oftentimes I'd stock up on my fave cheese spread and seldom bought peanut butter.  However, over the last year, I noticed that I've been buying less and less of my cheesy favorite and have been choosing peanut butter instead.  Oh no!!! I've become a peanut butter convert!!! I've gone over to the other side!!!  

Whereas before I'd just try it on a piece of bread and not really be satisfied, now I can't imagine eating piece of bread or pan de sal without it.  Fortunately, there is a local PB manufacturer in my city for almost half the price of the commercially-available one.  It is similar to a Ludy's or Lily's type of peanut butter.  The kids love it on their bread combined with either strawberry or mango-pineapple jam.  Hubby and I prefer to partner it with guava jelly.  We've also learned to love it, the "Elvis Presley" way - lightly-toasted pieces of loaf bread, spread with PB and jam then topped with slices of banana.  With our family's obvious preference for this uber nutty spread, it's not surprising that we have a love affair with peanuts of all shapes and sizes - adobo, cracker-type, chocnut and even plain boiled in shell.  What's your peanut butter story?

No comments:

Post a Comment