Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 66: LaPiS - SEAFOOD

This week's theme in Lasang Pinoy Sundays is SEAFOOD.  I thought I should feature one of my family's favorite seafood recipe - Tahong Soup (Mussel Soup).  It is such an easy and no-fuss dish to prepare.  What I love about it too is that it's packed with so much nutrition and doesn't really cost a lot to make. Being a breastfeeding Mom, I know that consuming shellfish together with malunggay (Moringana) leaves can greatly increase milk production and so that's another great reason why I love having this at home.

TAHONG SOUP (Mussel Soup)

1 kg fresh tahong (mussels) *** buy them live at the market
2 pcs thumb-size ginger, julienned 
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 cup malunggay leaves
3-4 stalks lemongrass, pounded
1 liter water or hugas bigas (rice wash water)
2 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
In a casserole, heat oil and saute the aromatics - onion, ginger, garlic and tomatoes.  Stir in the lemongrass and the mussels. Saute for 5 minutes then add the water, salt and pepper. Bring to a rolling boil, then add the malunggay leaves and remove from fire.  Serve.


Lasang Pinoy Sundays is a bi-monthly food photography meme, Pinoy style!


3 comments:

  1. Oh I love this. I can almsot taste the soup. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I love tahong soup, too! Atleast twice a month we have tahong or clam soup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! now that's another dish i truly miss! reminds me of my preggy days! haha!

    ReplyDelete