Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 15: Comfort Food and Leftovers

It has been raining here six days in a row and I'm pretty sure this kind of weather will drag on until early next week.  Weather like this always prompts me to prepare food that's warming to the belly.  

Ampalaya Guisado is always a winner for me and hubby, especially on a gloomy day like this one.  Served on piping hot rice, nothing beats the taste of bitter, salty and downright yummy all at the same time!
To reduce the bitterness of the ampalaya (bitter gourd), I usually soak the sliced ampalaya pieces in salt water for at least 2 hours.  To prepare the dish, I just saute onions, garlic and tomatoes in a little oil. Once translucent, I add some julienned red peppers and the drained ampalaya pieces.  I like my ampalaya to retain its rich green color and crispness so I just let it cook for about 7 minutes on high heat before adding 1-2 beaten eggs.  Once the eggs are almost cooked, I put off the heat and let the steam finish the cooking process.  Voila! Comfort food at its best!

I haven't been successful yet in having the kids love eating ampalaya so they feasted on the leftover "Fish-tek" from dinner the night before.  It's a simple dish of having "bariles" pieces marinated in some soy sauce, calamansi juice and a dash of pepper for about 30 minutes before pan frying them in hot oil.  Once brown, just add lots of red onion rings and the marinade.  It was even more delicious as a leftover since the sauce had already penetrated the fish pieces well.

Suffice to say, we were "belly-ful" today.

No comments:

Post a Comment